Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pallet shelf

I am going to start this post by saying, I LOVE pinterest. It is the perfect oasis for stealers like me! :) This project was one of the first ones I completed after joining pinterest. To be fair, here is the link to the website the original idea came from.
http://interiordecline.tumblr.com/

I am not tooting my own horn or anything but this is a project where I actually like my finished craft more than the inspiration! A friend actually showed me this idea the same night she introduced me to pinterest. Brent and I both instantly fell in love and we had the perfect spot for them. The only problem was we had no pallet or any idea where to get one that size. Luckily for us and very unluckily for my sister she had two laying on her burn pile when we went to her house the next day. This was an unfortunate event for my sis because those pallets were under her safe which was stolen from her house... in the middle of the day. Seriously, why are some people so mean. I don't understand! She graciously still gave us the pallets and our adventure began!

All we did was cut the pallets in half. That sounds so easy but of course we did not have the right tools to do it with. I do not know what the right tools are but Brent complained about it the whole time. :) So, we improvised and used a table saw and a skil saw. Our cuts were not perfect but that just adds to the rustic charm right?! I have been wanting to do something like this for a while so I have been collecting cool books to display. We did need it to be semi-functional so it does have a mason jar pen holder and our stamps are hidden in there. The rest is just a mix of things from some Nina Fritz art prints (a local artist) that Brent gave me when we were dating, to books and records, a plant Brent is rooting, and even the newspaper from the day we were married... I told you, I am embarrassingly sentimental! Anywho, this is the finished project. I hope you like it!
 This picture is kind of crazy. Sorry! I wanted you to see what was under the shelves as a hint to a future uncompleted project. Right now we have the desk that use to house our desktop which has been replaced. I temporarily added my sewing machine but it will also have to move because we are going to build a bench to fit here! I can't wait!
Well I hope you get a little inspiration from this project, if not mine then the original. It really is a great and easy idea!

3 comments:

  1. I love these shelves. I love your style :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these shelves! I keep trying to figure out where in my house I can put some :) BTW, I didn't leave a comment over there, but I loved the floor cushion you did too! I found you on the pinterest challenge and am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...