Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Maternity skirt

Let me start by saying that I would wear this skirt, pregnant or not. This skirt is seriously the most comfortable item of clothing I own now. I am in a little dilemma with this pregnancy: I don't have any winter maternity clothes! Zadie came in the middle of summer so, sadly, I was my biggest when it was HOT. I swore that I would never be that pregnant again in summer and if I was I would move out of Florida :) Well, I wont be super duper pregnant during summer for this baby which is so good except now I need some good fall/winter pieces to wear. This skirt is going to be perfect for that! I followed the tutorial from this blog (which is such a cute blog!): Elle apparel. I felt like her directions were very clear and I followed them almost exactly. Here is my finished product:
Isn't it SO stinking cute! Pippy (my pup) liked it so much she wanted to get in the picture too!
I mentioned that I made some changes, this is what they were.
1.) If you went to the blog I got this from and read through her instructions you saw the measurements she used for herself. You also saw her picture. She is a small woman. When I measured myself my waist measurements were smaller than hers. I am not saying this to gloat. I am actually sharing this because my womanly intuition had a bad feeling about my measurements being smaller than her measurements, but I didn't listen. I should have. If you look up at my picture and notice my tush, you will see that the skirt was a little snug. Praise God for spandex underwear! The next time I make this skirt, which will be soon, I am going to follow her 30 inch waist instead of my 27 inches. Obviously she sews more than me! ;)
2.) My material was not as wide so my flare could only be 34 inches. It is still really comfortable.
3.) This one isn't a change it was just a confused moment. I could not understand how the waist would work in her directions and I almost did not follow them. I am so glad that I did because, just like the pillows, once I put it together I saw that she was exactly right and that I am a dimwit! :) The entire 5 inch waistband folds down when you wear the skirt.

I went to my grandmothers house to sew this skirt because she has a serger and because she is a genius. She was nervous about the length. I assured her it would be fine and it is. The skirt is long but I never step or trip on it. I think the longer length makes it look kind of bohemian and I am into it!
You need to go make this skirt, like now, pregnant or not. I already bought the material to make another one! Go do it.
~happy skirt-making!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...