Thursday, November 10, 2011

Cookies!

Today was cold and rainy in the great state of Florida.
In my opinion that is the PERFECT day for one of two things.
1. A Harry Potter marathon
2. Baking, baking and then eating!

We chose option number 2 today and I thought I would share our finished project with you. I wish I could let you have a taste test.
These cookies are GOOD!

I set the hubs on a mission this morning. I opened my Pinterest baking board and I told him to choose.
He chose well.

First we have chocolate chip cheesecake cookies
AKA heaven on earth!


Here is the recipe:



Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookies

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 10 tablespoons butter (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3 ounces cream cheese
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 12 ounces chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375.
Combine dry ingredients (flour through soda) in a bowl and set aside. In mixer, blend butter, sugar, egg, cream cheese, and vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients, mixing with each addition, until all are incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Grease a cookie sheet. Drop dough by the spoonful onto sheet, at least 1 inch apart.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown around edges.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
The only reason it is  not 5 stars is because this second recipe may be my new favorite cookies recipe so nothing could really compare.

Ginger cookies anyone?!



The Barefoot Contessa worked her magic again.
I am becoming a HUGE fan of hers.

Here is the recipe:

The Barefoot Contessa’s Ultimate Ginger Cookies
Makes 16 cookies

2 1/4 cups (270 g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (170 g) dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
1/3 cup (80 ml) unsulfured molasses or black treacle
1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups (170 g) chopped crystallized ginger
granulated sugar, for rolling the cookies

Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and salt and then combine the mixture with your hands. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the brown sugar, oil, and molasses on medium speed for 5 minutes. Turn the mixer to low speed, add the egg, and beat for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula and beat for 1 more minute. With the mixer still on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the crystallized ginger and mix until combined.

Scoop the dough with 2 spoons or a small ice cream scoop (I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup, which is 90 g of dough). With your hands, roll each cookie into a 1 3/4-inch ball and then flatten them lightly with your fingers. Press both sides of each cookie in granulated sugar and place them on the sheet pans. Bake for exactly 13 minutes. The cookies will be crackled on the top and soft inside. Let the cookies cool on the sheets for 1 to 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

I modified this a bit.
1. I used the ingredients I had on hand such as regular store brand molasses, light brown sugar, and fresh ginger.
2. I made my cookies A LOT smaller. These call for monster cookies. My batch made about 2 1/2 dozen.
3. I asked my husband to read the directions for me and tell me what to add with the molasses. He go everything backwards.
I have no idea how.
But they still turned out great!

We also picked and cooked some fresh greens for dinner.

And....

I put together all the ingredients for homemade goldfish but that dough is still in the fridge because I just ran out of steam!

SOOOO if you get the time come stop by for a cookie!
I have PLENTY!

~Happy Baking!

1 comment:

  1. Cheesecake cookies!!! Are you kidding me!!? OMG, why I didn't think to look for a recipe like that earlier!?!?! It sounds like heaven on earth. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...