Monday, June 11, 2012

whole wheat oatmeal carrot cookies


Have I told you lately how much I L.O.V.E. cooking and eating in the summer time?!
All the fresh ingredients make the farmer's markets explode!
And I seriously think that knowing you may have to squeeze into a bathing suit any moment curbs the ole' appetite a bit !
Lately our farmer's market has had an amazing selection of fruits and veggies in their discount section-
Which just so happens to be favorite section at the market :)
So, I have been stocking up!
The down side to the discount section is that you have to use that food pronto or it will spoil on you.
Luck us, that is a perfect excuse to use our juicer!!
A lot of times I feel a little guilty using the juicer because I waste all the pulp-
A smoothie is just so much cleaner and uses pretty much the whole fruit.
But if you add a little planning the juicer is not wasteful at all.
You really get two items for the price of one!

That is where these cookies came in-
I had several bags of carrots from the discount section that were dying to be juiced.
Before I juiced them I took a second to see if I could find a way to use the pulp.
I found this recipe and it is A.MAZ.ING.

Ingredients:
(adapted from cdkitchen)

1 cup honey
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
eggs
2 cups whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
2 cups raisins
2 cups grated carrots

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In a mixing bowl beat together the honey, oil, vanilla and eggs. 

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and oatmeal and blend well. 

Then stir in raisins and carrots. Add the liquid ingredients to the mixture and blend well. 

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an oiled cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown. Remove the cookies from the cookie sheet and cool them on a rack before storing.

This recipe makes A LOT of cookies. So, I divided my dough into 3 sections. I baked one, and I rolled the other two into logs, wrapped them in freezer paper, and then I froze them. I have since eaten ALL the cookies (cooked and frozen) and they were delish! I just let the frozen dough thaw for a few minutes before I sliced them up and popped them in the oven!

Enjoy!

P.S. Some good stuff to juice with carrots- an apple, a handful of grapes, or a juicy tomato. Yum!


I love to party at these great places!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...